Paid Search Gets a Leg up from A/B Testing
The internet is an advertiser’s dream. Before the internet, who could ever think of reaching out to millions of potential customers with their brands and products without years of hard work? This is something made possible only by the mighty internet, and it has changed the way people do business.
Every business that wants to be successful uses the internet to its advantage. The online world allows marketers to take their products and services to every part of the world in minutes. But while that is all great, how do you make sure that your ads are even being viewed by the people? What makes your brand show up more frequently in search results than others?
The fact of the matter is that you can’t simply put up your website and hope for people to find it. Online marketing requires work on your part as well. The best way to make your brand be more visible is to use paid search, and to give your paid search a substantial leg up, you should be aware of a marketing technique known as A/B testing.
Understanding A/B Testing
A/B testing is a method of online marketing where you put two different versions of the same ad head to head, and see which one performs better. This is not like a lab test, however, where everything is done on your terms. A/B testing puts two versions of your ad to the test in the real world, to see how actual human beings interact with them. The data is then analyzed, and the ‘winning’ ad is used to reach out to potential customers.
The Stages of an A/B Test
In order to give your paid searches a leg up using A/B testing, it is vital that you know what the different stages of the process are:
- Creating a Hypothesis: This will be the basis of your ads. For example, your hypothesis could be that more people respond to colorful ads than those in black and white.
- Testing the Hypothesis: Based on the hypothesis, you will create the same ad in two different color schemes to see which one fares better.
- Analyzing Results: Without an analysis of the results, you cannot decide on a winner.
- Reporting Results: After you have chosen a winner, it is now time to put it to the test. It is important to keep analyzing and reporting the results of the winning ad after the test has been conducted, to make sure that it is working the way you want.
The Elements of the Test are Variable
If you’re wondering what elements of an ad the A/B test takes into account, then there is no clear answer. The elements differ on the basis of your goals. In case of a PPC test, these are the most commonly tested elements:
- The headline of the ad
- The main text or body of the ad
- Any hotlinks you have
- Keywords used in the ad
All of these elements play an important role in your online presence. The headline is what draws people in, so it’s best to use the search keyword here. You can tell people about your business or products in the body text. Hotlinks are very important because these are what take your customers to your products. Keywords are possibly the most important thing to be careful of when trying to make your ads more visible.
So as you see, A/B testing is a very in-depth process that is sure to give your paid searches a leg up. If employed correctly and efficiently, A/B testing can give you the answers that you need when trying to make your brand appear more frequently in search results.